Corporate wellness programs... do they really exist?
According to a company recruitment brochure maybe, but in reality 90% no. Sadly in 2018 it seems very few employers have managed to get employee health and wellness right. Most healthy "benefits" are fruit once a week or maybe a yoga class, but guess what... that isn't effective!
Through projects I have worked on it turns out that most employees (somewhere around the 80% mark) are not fit, don't exercise and don't eat well. So putting on a free bootcamp at lunchtime or after work will attract the 20% already fit people (who don't need the motivation), and simply be way too intimidating for the other 80%. Point in case with a client I was working with who gave out FREE one-year gym memberships to all 800 employees at a huge cost to the company. How many actually activated their free membership?
26 people! Yes 26 people out 800.
And if that wasn't enough they actually made the decision to renew the all-company gym membership for a second year knowing how little uptake they had achieved.
So what should the answer be to developing a corporate health, wellness and fitness program be? Firstly it should not be one size fits all. Anything relating to this topic is hugely personal and should be treated this way. Providing some bespoke options to employees really isn't anymore expensive than a blanket approach, you just need a good plan and providers to help execute. I have seen a great one in place and the results are truly amazing both for the employee and the company - it is possible.
So where does your company rate with this? I can't wait for the day when there is a Chief Wellness Officer on management teams, only then will we be taking corporate health and wellness seriously.